Monday, April 15, 2013

Religion and Politics Alert!

          I'm all for moderation, but I'm in the same line of thinking as far as where our priorities stand as a state. The ability to exercise such great freedom is actually hindering different and imperative aspects of Texas, and it's worrisome how narrow minded we choose to be as a whole.
          Equal rights are such a hot topic right now and I feel like it's just the tip of the iceberg. With a great call for a great cause, I'm happy to see a shift in the overwhelming pool of conservatism. The status of Texas and it's conservatism pains me as I witness our politics and people react to an evolving world around us. We naively push away and frown upon very intimate social subjects with such irrelevant counter arguments.
          I'm a very tolerant person, and while I am biased through my atheism the concern I feel about the overwhelming religious influence is one that is genuinely for all Texans. The separation of church and state is a goal that I wish was widely shared or expressed in my state because then we could remove a very archaic and unnecessary filter when looking into our future and for what is best for all. This could account for better management of civil rights, education, and opportunities for many. Mrs. DeVilbiss raised a wonderful example of some true and rooted problems that we face and may be to close at times to see. Morals are subjective and rights should be attainable if logical and reasonable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment